All persons who intend to practise medicine in Prince Edward Island must be registered and licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island.
For physicians who would like to practise medicine in PEI, It is strongly recommended that you first visit the Government of Prince Edward Island’s website to view current job opportunities, under “Physicians”. If you require additional information about the current job opportunities, please contact the Recruitment and Retention Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All physicians applying for a licence to practice in PEI must apply online through physiciansapply.ca. If you do not currently have an account with physiciansapply.ca, one will need to be created to proceed with the application process.
All fees associated with the application process are at the expense of the applicant and are non-refundable. Furthermore, successful completion of the licensure process does not guarantee a job on Prince Edward Island.
PATHWAYS TO LICENSURE AND THE REQUIREMENTS
Consistency of Practice: A physician applying for licensure must have practiced in the field of medicine in which they are applying for, for a minimum of 6 months in the last 3 years prior to date of the application. Any gap in practice, 3 years or greater, may result in ineligibility for licensure.
** If applicable, please provide the College with access to your documents held on physiciansapply**
Please Note: The Practice Ready Assessment (PRA) for Family Medicine Physicians only and the Comprehensive Clinical Assessment (CCA) for currently licensed physicians are both still under development and not available at this time.
Please Note: If you currently hold a corporation in another jurisdiction and intend to use your corporation while you are in PEI, our legislation requires you to licence and register your corporation with us. Incorporation in one province doesn’t necessarily cover income in other provinces and CRA could penalize you if you’re not registered in PEI.
All applications for licensure to practice in Prince Edward Island are only valid for 6 months from the date of submission and must be valid on the day licensure is issued.
2022 Payment Schedule, set by Council (may change without notice)
- Establishing an account with MCC: determined by MCC
- Submission of an Application: determined by MCC
- Credentialing Fee: $ 400 to CPSPEI
- Administration Fee: $ 300
- Change of Status Fee: $ 100
- Annual Registration Fee: $ 2,125
- Prorated Annual Registration Fee: $ 1,062.50 (prorated for licensure beginning after July 1 for the remainder of 2022)
- Provisional Registration – 10 consecutive weeks: $ 525
- Provisional Registration – 16 consecutive weeks: $ 825
- Provisional Registration – 26 consecutive weeks: $ 1,350
- Provisional Registration – 52 consecutive weeks: $ 2,400
- Medical Education – (For Residents only- if prescribing): $ 100
- Visiting Consultant Registration Fee: $ 100
For further information or questions regarding licensure, please contact our office https://www.cpspei.ca/contact/
Please be aware that due to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency our office at 14 Paramount Drive is closed to the Public until further notice.
Contact by telephone or email is available during working hours.
Essential services will be maintained.